Cindy Doss – Research Analyst
Stewart, Cooper & Coon, Inc.
February 2012 to January 2013
Purpose – Job Spotlight is a Stewart, Cooper & Coon supply and demand data resource focusing on specific titles and geographies. This tool is designed to assist you as you outmaneuver your competition.
This data is designed to give you a view of the market and competitive trends for senior level positions. By identifying your competition, as well as who is seeking talent for this level of executive employment, you will be better positioned to take advantage of this knowledge, and plan your search strategies accordingly.
Report Focus – For all of you CFO’s out there, Nationwide, here are some facts for the period of February 2012 thru January 2013. It seems that 11,530(1) active candidates were looking to secure a position as Chief Financial Officer; however, there were only 10,785(2) Job Postings during that same time period. In other words, there were 1.07(3) more job seekers than jobs at this level and 745,285(4) in the Total Available Workforce for CFO, Nationwide.
A job posting is a channel through which human resources or a recruiter, posts all its available vacancies on job boards or internally in order to give an opportunity to its existing employees or outside competition. Competition is getting hotter. What are you doing to sharpen your edge to secure that CFO title?
Salary Range For CFO’s in California During Sample Period
$95,000 25th Percentile
$135,000 50th Percentile
$192,000 75th Percentile
Companies Posting Jobs – Below are the top 10 companies posting CFO’s positions as open, during this time frame, and the number of jobs listed during this time period. Of course, there were many more companies but these are in our reporting database.*
Community Health Systems, Inc. 90
US Department Of Veterans Affairs 47
Mckesson Corporation 45
Health Management Associates, Inc. 38
Pricing Systems 30
Healthsouth Corporation 27
Erskine College 27
Wellpoint, Inc. 24
B2b CFO 21
LinkedIn Corporation 20
Top Job Titles Posted By Companies
Chief Financial Officer 2,907
Chief Financial Officer CFO 243
Director of Finance 234
CFO Chief Financial Officer 98
Corporate Controller 73
Finance Director 68
Chief Financial Officer / CFO 50
Deputy Chief Financial Officer 48
Experience Levels For Executives Searching at CFO Level – Based on the 11,530 active job seekers searching for the CFO position, the following graph shows us that the highest percentage of job seekers with 21+ years experience is 61% and the lowest is 1-2 years experience at 1%;
Easiest Metro Areas to Recruit In
Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area
Greater Detroit Area
Orlando Florida Area
Hartford Connecticut Area
Greater Denver Area
Palm Bay Florida Area
Greater Chicago Area
Sarasota Florida Area
Charlotte North Carolina Area
Cape Coral-Fort Myers Florida Area
Relocation Data – The percentage of CFO’s who are willing to relocate is low; this may be the edge you need.
Active Workforce Trends Over Last 24 Months – Supply of job seekers
*Data Source and Use Notifications
1) The supply data set is a combination of job seeker activity generated on CareerBuilder.com and CareerBuilder niche sites. This includes all candidates who a) create a new resume, b) apply to a job using a saved resume and/or, c) modify a resume.
2) Demand data set is the count of job postings across the Internet from multiple websites, provided by Wanted Technologies. The figures contain no duplicate records from any database; as a result, the number is the accurate set of job postings for our job search.
3) Labor Pressure is the percentage of supply versus demand.
4) The total available workforce data is in lieu of the 135 million worker profiles that CareerBuilder’s partner, EMSI, consolidates and categorizes into the Standard Occupational Classification system.
5) No person, company or entity may sell, transfer or assign the report or any of the data provided in same to any third party without the express written authorization of Stewart, Cooper & Coon. No person, company or entity may remove or modify any branding, marks, copyright or trademark notices, or any other notices or disclaimers set forth in any of this data or report without Stewart, Cooper and Coon prior written consent, or otherwise modify the data or the contents of this data or this report in any way so as to falsely or otherwise misrepresent its content. Data and graphs supplied by CareerBuilder.