It is a common practice in today’s corporate environment for companies to provide individualized outplacement services as a benefit for senior managers and executives. For senior military decision-makers these services are rarely offered in a form that will present success in meaningful executive-level transition. A well-conceived senior-level transition program must address the following issues:
- Planning – Develop a precise plan that balances your current workload with implementing multiple marketing channel requirements required in a successful job search or career transition.
- Mind Set Shifts – Make the mind-set change from Mission and Duty to Profit and Loss.
- Skill Translation – Determine how to translate your defense and national security expertise into valued corporate skills.
- Your Value Add – Present your skills to companies in a way that you can negotiate the best possible price for your skills and not leave money on the table. Financial rewards are negotiated, not given.
- Increase Your Marketplace Worth - Position yourself for long-term, increasing value in the marketplace so you are able to achieve a comfortable retirement status.
There are many job search and employment issue questions you must consider, study, plan and manage in order to execute a truly successful career transition strategy.