Senior executives in a private company are offered a variety of outplacement benefits, including job search seminars and coaching, individual coaching, and proprietary research and resources to facilitate your move from one company to another.
Senior government employees are rarely offered these services. They work diligently throughout their careers and upon leaving the government, find they must work hard to understand the private job market and make their newly desired career in the private sector become a reality. This is a difficult learning curve. They may discover the web and other information sources are applicable to many lower level employees. At the senior level, those plans must be redesigned to ensure a successful career transition. Your transition must also be well-planned and you must speak to at least these issues or questions.
- How do you develop a true understanding of the marketplace you wish to enter?
- What are the required marketing channels and what is your strategy for managing each? If you are currently employed, how do you develop and execute a strategy to manage the time you are spending in your current job with the requirements of the job search?
- How do you develop an understanding for and manage the contrast between the dynamics of your current mission of public service and public administration with the P&L mindset in the private sector?
- How do you translate your public service and public administration skills and competencies into ones that will be acknowledged, appreciated and sought after by the private sector?
- What are the best strategies for presenting your skills to companies that place you in a position to negotiate the best price for your skills and ensure that you do not leave money on the table?
- What are the best ways to position yourself for long-term, increasing value in the marketplace so you may achieve a comfortable retirement?
These are only a few of the issues and training areas we undertake with our clients. You must now study, consider, decide and effectively manage your job search transition process for you to achieve a successful outcome in your new career.