Every executive who is engaged in searching for a job must prepare for executive interviews. Those who successfully exit this process earn more money because they have clearly communicated their added value to the company. They have helped the company to see that hiring them would significantly contribute to the company’s top or bottom line, or both. Their perceived value was made crystal clear during the executive interview.
The secret to creating that value is being able to communicate your “PE” (performance equity) ratio. Your PE ratio begins from the moment you define your product and continues through your package negotiations. The money you negotiate comes from knowing how to control the interview and what answers to provide to create the perception of your value-add.
A significant financial package is the goal of most executives in search. To be perceived as generating value for a company is what separates excellent candidates from the also ran, and from those who are satisfied to take what is offered or just slightly north of that. Why don’t you try your hand at our questions and define your interview strengths.
For each question in the following survey, it is important to be brutally honest with yourself. If you can’t form an answer instantly or you hesitate in any way or the answer is no, PUT A CHECK IN THAT BOX. Don’t waste your time fooling yourself.
Your rating is described below:
- 0 – 2 Points – Quit fooling yourself and retake the quiz.
- 3 – 4 Points -Not too bad but you really need to think about what you missed and the importance of those to your overall strategy and job search process.
- 5 – 6 Points – You should probably rethink your strategy. You will not create value if you have this score on the quiz. Creating value allows for negotiations leading to larger compensation.
- 7 – 8 Points – Either you will not achieve your career goals or your financial goals that you have established for this search, or both, without a major shift in strategies you employ to move your career forward.
- 9 – 10 Points- Your interviewing skills are poor and you will not achieve your goal of increasing your employment value and negotiating a better compensation package. Also, it is likely that your job search is in trouble, as well.