We thought that you might be interested in real notes from one of our clients about evaluation of multiple offers and the process of deciding upon which to take.
Day 1 of Evaluation Period: “XXXX Job offer expected Monday. Good conversation with relo manager yesterday. I had already scheduled a realtor to come out for next Wednesday, but relo mgr wanted me to try to do it sooner, so she got me the name of another realtor, who can come out Monday. I want to have heard the realistic sale price from a realtor before making the final decision. My future XXXX boss called today to say that they are now ready to issue the offer letter (they wanted me to think over the offer first so as not to negotiate once the letter is received) and she asked what start date to put. I have not officially accepted yet. I mentioned that their relo person had offered for me to come out and choose the temp living apt. and that I would want to do that and then I would need to come home and come back with my stuff, so 2-3 weeks. She said ok let’s make it April 5th and we can always bump it out.
YYYY – I spoke with the General Counsel yesterday morning, told him I have a job offer from XXXX. He is still interested in me but had one more person to see. My family will pull for me to take this job if I get it, but it has two drawbacks – 1) company is not healthy and has bad recent history 2) boss works 7 a.m.-7 p.m. The pluses are 1) in Cleveland 2) would get SEC experience for next job as a General Counsel.
ZZZZ – The recruiter knows that I have an offer. The recruiter reports that they are seeing one candidate tomorrow and another on April 7th. They HR VP was told that an offer was imminent from another company for me, and they said I am a strong candidate but their process is their process. The 2 remaining candidates are both men and both out of town, so the recruiter says those factors bode in my favor with the company. After the April 7th interview, there would still be the need for possibly 2 of the candidates to meet the CEO. My guess is that this process could take until May at the slow rate they are going. Optimistically, they might be in a position to make an offer by late April. So it does not look like it will work for me.
Day 3 of Evaluation Period – I have received the XXXX offer letter via PDF and am expecting the hard copy via Fed Ex today. It does not contain an expiration date but it does state a start date of April 5th, as I mentioned.
Both the relo costs and signing bonus have to be repaid if my employment is terminated within 1 and 2 years. It seems to me, especially after being through what I just went through, where I got laid off after one year that I should not have to repay those if they let me go without cause. So that is one point I know I need to bring up with them. The second is that it does not mention vacation, which is probably just their way. In the verbal offer I was told that 3 weeks is standard but that they would consider 4 weeks if I asked.
Day 4 of Evaluation Period
The recruiting firm for YYYY called me this morning. She is a veteran, just like you, and has seen it all. She told me that having a home buy out option from my prospective new employer, as I do, is rare. She also told me that the she has several attorneys and former GCs in her stable of unemployed folks whom she is helping “transition” and the job market is still very bad, so having a job offer is also rare and I am lucky. I briefly described to her how I am comfortable with the out-of-state offer, company, and people. Her advice was to take the out-of-state job (once I have the info I need from the realtors about market value of my home) when I reach the deadline to do so. But, like you, and like the recruiter for YYYY, she also said that reneging was not an evil thing so if I want to continue with my present company. I should do so. She did tell me, though, that those weeks will be like walking through the fires of hell in terms of stress level.
Later, the recruiter for JJJJ called to say that JJJJ HR VP wants me to know that they understand that I have to do what’s best for me and my family and they will not hold it against me if I want to continue to work with them after accepting another job. Recruiter also told me off the record that the candidate they saw yesterday was strong but somewhat nervous and serious, which the JJJJ folks remarked on since they are looking for someone they can joke around with and get along with because they are super focused on a cultural fit (and I was very loose and joking with them, by the way). Then we had realtor #1 out to get the market assessment under way.
Day 5 of Evaluation Period
I’ve accepted the job with XXXX. My first day is April 16th. Lots to do between now and then! Please thank everyone on my SC&C team for making all of this possible for me. Your support “made” my career future.”